Case study

Journey conversion

Background

forms-that-work-book

I was responsible for The AA breakdown cover end to end (and top to bottom) journey.  I was given a target of increasing sales conversion by 7%, which was a line in the forecast and growth hinged on it

At the start I formed a strategy and plan based on insight from user research, usability, analytics, call centre feedback, sales data and books such as Luke Wroblewski ‘Web form design’, Steve Krug ‘Don’t make me think’ and  Caroline Jarrett & Gerry Gaffney ‘Forms that work’. 

Measurement

Measurement meant understanding how the journey was performing before any changes were made.    I worked with the analytics team to set up reporting for our Ecommerce trading meetings. My reports were detailed, showing different channels, penetration rates, average transaction value, revenue and the conversion impact of individual changes in the journey, issues and external factors.

aa_conversion_pack

Accurate measurement meant being able to thank people for the specific sales impact that they’d made – such as an address look up refinement by a developer. Sharing the numbers involved everyone, driving momentum and ideas.  It also helped show stakeholders the impact of things they wanted that made the journey harder for users – such as making entering a vehicle registration number mandatory (how many of us know our vehicle registration?)

Prioritised list

dont-make-me-think-book

I produced a prioritised list of of 130 changes with estimated revenue impacts. I specified, wireframed and collaborated with the team – and it was that collaboration which took it to the next level, the debating and iterating.

Working with a small diverse team (back end developer, front end developer, copywriter, designer) we launched a new responsive journey including checkout.  I’d reduced the number of steps.

After that we made changes to the journey every week over 14 months.  The prioritised list was used and updated based on new insights from analytics and usability testing.

I collaborated with the web chat team, analytics, development, design, editorial, IST, compliance, quality/test, finance, banking, pricing, 3rd parties, marketing, call centre, systems consultants and product management.

Usability

shell-garage

I ran ‘Steve Krug’ style usability studies every 4 weeks offering £20 petrol vouchers to members of the public, asking them to come on down. The ‘lab’ was just a screen and camera set up in the old map rooms in front of the AA building.  We got gold dust from every session which then fed into the backlog.

Design

the-aa-view-options-page
the-aa-choose-page

Journey changes included

No distractions – buyers can concentrate on what they’re doing – selecting and the button

Vertical axis to completion – a straight line – not fields side by side, tick box above the button

Forgiving fields accepting all formats – allowing spaces, capitalisation, hyphens etc.

Top aligned field labels

Affordances – different field sizes for post code etc offer a visual clue

Reduced steps – 2 fields for address look up

Credit card field order matching the order on the card – long number first, expiry, name, csv

‘Your quote’ visible at all times to reassure buyers

Results

0 %
SALES INCREASE

We increased conversion by 89% vs a target of 7%.  It was literally off the charts (we literally had to keep resizing the conversion graphs each week to fit it in the trading report) and more than we’d ever dreamed of.